This week, the works planned in action C1 “Green infrastructure: adaptation of specks with native material from the salt substrate” have started. This is the most complex and expensive action of the LIFE Salinas, since it aims to create 1.800 meters of new specks with two objectives:
- Stabilize and improve salt production, expanding the path that the water pumped from the Mar Menor into the salt ponds before it reaches the crystallizing ponds.
- Increase aquatic bird breeding habitat.
The process of building specks is as follows:
- The base of the speck is made with quarry stone of medium and large size, which will give consistency to the speck against the storms.
- Filling and crowning of the speck: on the stones, the substrate of saline puddles will be extended that will exceed at least 20 cm.
- Finally, a shallow compaction will be applied to the substrates provided.