Many visitors to the Regional Park ‘Salinas y Arenales de San Pedro del Pinatar’ know this small pond next to the parking lot of the same name and that gives access to the beach of the Torre Derribada, but few know the origin of its name.
In 1880, the galician businessman D. Manuel García Coterillo bought the Salinas de San Pedro del Pinatar, modernized them and unified the 3 salt pans that had existed until that moment: Hospital, Principal and Renegada. Thanks to this the salinas survived, improving their profitability.
For many years, these salinas were habitat of the fartet (Aphanius iberus), an endemic fish in danger of extinction. One of the objectives of the LIFE Salinas Project is to improve the conditions of this pond so that the fartet can repopulate it.